Why this blog?

Hello everyone,

Why did I start this blog? That's something I'm asking myself at the moment as well. I am not one of those caring much about fashion. I'm not even one of those who really care how they look when they go outside. It's raining and I have to walk to the city? I'm putting on walking shoes.

But still, there is much I have to say about fashion and beauty. It's not about nowadays fashion but about what I have learnt by searching the internet and just keeping my eyes open.

It started after I decided to get a tattoo that would be very beautiful and in a style and colours I really love. A few days before I had a realisation: I don't need the tattoo to put onto my skin to make it more beautiful. Because really, I am enough. There aren't colours missing in my skin, all the ones I need are already there. I don't need to put beauty on because there is already beauty there that I was missing before.

Still, I didn't pay much more attention to this thought the years after. However I did notice slowly that with the clothes I am putting on, I tend to look worse. My style was indeed a bit whatever fits well and isn't horrible.

After I moved out and started studying I noticed that I just own too many clothes, especially clothes I just don't wear. Most of those were gifts. I decided to make a plan on a capsule wardrobe. For those who don't know what this is: It's a wardrobe containing only a few pieces that work well together. I never planned to own as little pieces as some capsule wardrobe owners do, but the idea was there.

However then I noticed something: My closet is full of colours that don't work with each other. And it is full of styles that don't work with each other.

For a capsule wardrobe, it is suggested to take just a few basic colours and accenting colours as to make it consistent. So I tried to find some nice base colours. If this would have worked out, I wouldn't write this blog right now. Whatever combination of two colours that were typical base colours I used, they either didn't go well with each other or they didn't look good on me.

I also found the style part difficult. I did have very few pieces I love, but those were the ones that I was never wearing because I had nothing to wear them with. I just didn't like the style most of my clothes had, but what could I do when I don't know what basics go with the clothes I love?

So I went on a long journey of discovering what really looks good on me and what I like wearing. I'm still far from finished. But I noticed a lot of things on my way that helped me a lot. Those are the ones I would like to share.

I see a lot of people that complain about their problem zones and who are very beautiful but really hide it. The problem I see is mostly in the attitude of people. And I am not talking about "yes, you just have to accept yourself,...". I am talking about the way people are trying to compensate their problem zones and with this, actually pointing attention to them. For example, if you are very small and young looking and try to compensate by wearing very mature clothes, those will point attention to that your clothes look much older than you.

Obviously, I am not a trained stylist. In my journey I have used a lot of recources and I will link those so you can see where I have my thoughts from.

Love,
Julia

Comments